Letters to the void.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Connected

I'm back in Denver and I have an internet connection again. My new apartment up in the mountains won't have internet access until this Thursday. Once it does, I think that living up there will be easier. Not having internet is a similar feeling to losing your cell phone. You feel disconnected and you also feel pathetic for feeling so disconnected and dependent on technology that you happily lived without only a few years ago.
I feel like I often have to edit myself in this blog. I have no idea who will read this. Anyone from my old elementary school teachers to my future employers could theoretically read this. In reality, I think that my mom is the only person that actually reads this. But the point is that anyone could, so I feel like I have to be politically sensitive. Thinking about it too much could make this a very boring blog.
Am I an exhibitionist for writing this... or are you a voyeur? Perhaps I should have the attitude that I should write whatever I want and if it leaves a bad impression, then it's your fault for being nosey and spending your time in my business. Who are you anyway?
Good art shouldn't be exclusive or limited or restricted. It should be exposed for anyone to see. I'm not pretending that this blog is good art--I'm just making a point. I don't think Bob Dylan worried about what his future employers might think of him when he recorded songs. Granted, most art is created with a specific audience in mind. But in the information age, everyone has access to pretty much everything. An audience can so easily be enormous and uncontrollable.
Many times, I have written blog entries and erased them because I was worried about who might see what I write. I'm going to try not to do that anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home