Letters to the void.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Three is a Magic Number.

I'm sitting at a cafe called the Green House in St. Maarten. They have free wifi here and two for one drinks. I'm two Irish coffees and about two hours of surfing into the experience here. I'll probably spend the afternoon on the beach and then I have two shows to play tonight.

Tonight we're playing a show called "Singing with the Big Band." It's a tribute to music of Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. Our band is on stage all night, so it's nice to be out of the orchestra pit. Last night we played a great show backing up Karen Grainger who is a singing impressionist. She's very talented, and refreshingly less cheesy than a lot of the stuff we back up. Here's her website if you're interested: www.karengrainger.com

I have eight more cruises to go after this one, which is not too much I suppose. The novelty of this gig is gone and the routine is firmly in gear. It's a good band though, and relatively good shows. I've decided that my career as a Carnival showband guitarist is over after this contract, barring some drastic experience. I've gotten what I want to get out of it, and I need to get to the next thing. I'm looking into different options for the future.

I'm reading a book called "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. It's an awesome travel book about hiking the Appalachian Trail. It's great because the heroes are completely bumbling disasters, instead the hot-shot outdoorsmen that you might expect from such a book.

I don't have any great adventures to report about yet. I'll let you know if something cool happens. Till then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home