Letters to the void.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tamed

I swam with dolphins yesterday. It was amazing. Our cruise director Kevin Noonan hooked up me and two other musicians with free VIP passes to Dolphin Cove which is a tourist attraction in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We ate jerk-chicken, drank Jamaican rum and listened to great live music, but the best part was the dolphins.

The three of us and the guide went in the water with life preservers and played with a dolphin named Nina for about a half hour. The highlight of the experience was actually getting pulled through the water by the dolphin. Nina turned upside down, and we were told to hold on to her pectoral fins (her arms, kind of). Then she swam upside down and pulled us quickly through the water. It was incredible to be right next to such an amazing creature. I was in a good mood for the rest of the day.

At first I wondered if I should feel bad for these trained dolphins who are made to perform for hundreds of tourists every day. I don't feel bad for tamed dogs or horses. A tamed dolphin is more uncommon, but I don't think the animals are abused by their captivity any more than a pet forced to wear a leash. Dolphins live longer in captivity (up to 50 plus years) and their health is guarded. They probably have better health care than most Americans living in the wild.

My health care is provided by the ship, and come to think of it, I perform for hundreds of tourist every too. In exchange I get free food (often fish) and a place to stay just like the dolphin. I'm also not free to go wherever I want in the wild. Job equals tamed. That's it, I'm quitting. I hope I don't get eaten by a shark.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ilan Salzberg said...

Andrea says its not so bad being a trained monkey sometimes. I think its a trick, she probably wants me to take out the trash or do dishes or something. Never surrender.

7:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home