Letters to the void.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Fourth Cruise

I've passed the two week mark on the Carnival Imagination, and the ship's itinerary is now repeating. Oddly enough, the same comedian as my first night on ship came and performed a show last night. The first time I saw him, I thought it was my disorientation that took the humor from the show for me. It turns out the guy's just not very funny.

He performed the same exact routine note for note. I can listen to or play the same song a thousand times and still enjoy it, but the same joke? Very few jokes, even good ones, are funny when told over and over again. I think jokes are more dependent on surprise than songs, and that's part of the reason jokes are better the first time. Most jokes are only funny once ever, but successful comedians seem to spend more time performing than writing. They need new audiences all the time. They have that in the crowd, but not in the band.

I've seen a bunch of comedians perform in the time I've been here. Our band plays short pieces called "play ons" before and after their sets, and we sit and watch them perform from the side of the stage. They often perform two shows, which never vary in their material. A few comedians have been good, especially a guy named Tommy Drake who performed a Steve Martin style combination of magic, comedy and juggling. Most of the comedians aren't very good. In their defense, we watch the show from a profile angle, and miss a lot of facial expressions since we're just getting a side view. The band is in the funny position of being in limbo between audience and performer. We're on the side of the stage in a spot to watch either party and also the interaction between the two. Some audience members sit cross-armed and poker-faced like they're watching television. Some others, especially younger kids, crack up at jokes that aren't funny at all and that they don't even understand. Audiences generally come to the shows to enjoy themselves and don't seem very critical.

I'm excited for this week's cruise, because one day instead of having a comedian, a Motown singer is coming to perform. Instead of playing her on and off, we get to be her back band for her whole performance. Her name is Yolanda Barber and apparently her claim to fame is that she used to tour with Lionel Richie. We have a rehearsal tomorrow afternoon for her show and then two performances with her that night I believe.

Tonight, we're playing two swing jazz sets for the Captain's cocktail party, and then two production shows. I haven't had a day off yet, but I really don't work very much even on busier days like this one. I'm still enjoying this gig, and hopefully I'll keep up my enthusiasm for it. A piano player is coming to join the band at the end of the week, so that should be good. Also Saturday's my birthday. I'll try to write again before then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home